Sealants are widely used in building and construction applications to prevent water or air from leaking through joints or surfaces. Sealants have to expand and contract with the surfaces during service. For outdoor applications, it must be able to withstand UV attacks from sunlight and severe weather changes.
Sealants based on Kraton hydrogenated styrenic block copolymer (HSBC) are typically formulated in solvents with additional resins, fillers and additives to meet different performance requirements. Both conventional organic solvents and exempt solvents can be used. Sealants can also be formulated to be hot-melt applicable without solvents.
Sealants are generally applied through handheld caulking guns. Formulations can be adjusted to be squeezable or brushable. Sealants with Kraton polymers are strong and durable for exterior applications. It is well recognized by contractors and trade professionals.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Elasticity to handle joint movement
- Tough and difficult for animals to chew through
- UV resistant for outdoor exposure
- Can be pigmented or remain clear
- Can be painted
- Can be applied to wet or dry surfaces
- Remain flexible at low temperatures
- Adhere to a wide variety of substrates
- Long shelf life
- New developmental polymers allow for low VOC formulations